Thursday, May 31, 2018

Selfie With Painting


I went to the Whitney Museum today to see a major exhibition of the paintings and arts and crafts works of the painter Grant Wood.  He is famous, of course, for his work "American Gothic."  You know the painting.  I was standing back while lots of people moved in to look at the painting closely, and I wanted to get a photograph of the painting surrounded by people.  A couple of people stepped away, and this father quickly stepped in, and held up his son so his wife could snap a photo of them with the painting!  Completely caught me by surprise, but I managed to get two shots!  What an unexpected pleasure, and even the guard was smiling!

1 comment:

Dean said...

So YOU are the reason American Gothic isn't in it's rightful place at the Chicago Art Institute! Don't know if I sent you the link before, but there was a story in the NYT about the house serving as backdrop for the painting. It is a real house in Eldon, Iowa and the article tells a woman's story of living in a house serving as an essential piece of artwork:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/arts/design/american-gothic-grant-wood-eldon-iowa-whitney-museum-.html