Thursday, October 11, 2018

A Rat's Nest of Wires


I was driving up the road that leads from where the old power plant used to be, and traffic was slow because one lane was closed.  There were a number of power company trucks with boom arms up in the air because they were working on the high tension poles.  When I got up to the center of town, I saw this spider web of power lines that I really hadn't noticed before.  Why so many lines?  OK, since you asked, here is a primer on power distribution.  The power lines on the tops of the poles, and the lines connected to those long insulators that look like springs, carry 115,000 volts.  Then the voltage is reduced so that the wires on the cross arm above the gray cylinders carry 20,000 volts.  Those lines connect to the gray cylinders, which are called transformers, and they lower the voltage to 120 volts which is what arrives at our house through those really thin lines!  Cool, huh?  Aren't you glad you checked the blog today? If you click on the picture, you can see all the connections in greater detail.



5 comments:

ken schwarz said...

Before reading your circuitous power transmission step-down electric engineering diatribe, I thought today's photo was a leftover from your recent LA trip where electric power lines are seen virtually everywhere. I was perfectly content this morning powering up my old 110 volt toaster for a couple slices of golden brown toast to make my bacon and fried egg sandwich and without a care in the world of how and where the juice originated!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am glad I checked your blog today and learned about the step down of power lines and voltage. We do not have a massive grid of power lines around me and I don't think I would have noticed what you saw in your travels.
Joan

Anonymous said...

SO many wires! I'm glad I read your blog so I have an idea about how they all work. betsey

Chuck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chuck said...

I knew that....