Thursday, October 4, 2018

The Antique Sign


I have told you about my recent pastrami sandwich addiction.  I get these sandwiches at a local deli that has been in Sea Cliff since the beginning of time.  I had never gone there much, until that day a few months ago that I realized I needed a pastrami sandwich.  Now I go there once or twice a month.  The deli has recently been refurbished and I noticed this large wooden sign for the first time the other day.  I asked the owner about the sign, and he said it had originally been on the outside of the building for a long time, but it has been in the basement of the deli for years.  He put in a reproduction stamped metal ceiling, and then put up the sign indoors.  It is hard to see details, but this sign is hand carved - the gold letters and the gold border are raised about 1/8" from the background.  That was a lot of work doing that!  It is a nice addition to the store.

No comments: