Monday, October 1, 2018

The Acrobat


I decided that it's time to start painting the house.  I am just going to paint this one side because by the end of October, it will be too cold to paint.  I have been painting our house since we first bought it back in 1971.  When it is time to paint, I would usually paint one side a year.  So this is the start.  It is a long way up to the peak!  So I decided that I am old enough so that if I fell off the ladder, I wouldn't bounce.  So I bought an industrial safety harness, to be safe.


You can't see it, but there is a climbing rope that goes from the back of my harness up to the small window to my right.  It is tied to a beam in the attic.  I don't want to fall off the ladder, but if I did, I would only fall a short distance before the rope would bring me up short.  For years I painted up high like this with no safety line.  Dumb idea.  Maybe as I get older, I am just a bit smarter.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy that you are wise in your older years and playing it safe. :-) Trim is looking good. Im glad I do not live next door as I would be holding my breath every time I looked over. I admire you for all of the work you have done on your home over the years. I won't stand on a ladder to change a light bulb unless someone else is here with me.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Ken - looking good. Can you explain where the rope to your harness is tied off too ? From the picture looks like it is tied off to the ladder half-way down. Always assumed you tie it above you ?

Ken Spencer said...

The rope on my harness goes to a square window to the right of me in the picture, which is actually above me. That is the attic window, and the climbing rope goes into the attic through that window and is securely tied to a beam inside. The rest of the rope is what you see going down to the ground, to the right of the ladder. You are right, it looks as if I am tied to the ground, which would defeat the purpose of the safety line!

Anonymous said...

Glad you have gotten wiser as you have gotten older. I am amazed at all the hard work that you have done on your house through the years. It's wonderful that you are so active and able. Keep going!!! betsey

Liz said...

You are one smart fellow! Happy to see you are not testing the “bounce” theory.

Anonymous said...

So glad you have the new harness. You are amazing with all the work you have done on your home. I don't get on ladders or chairs anymore. My balance is a little shaky. Karen