Wednesday, January 18, 2023

The Peaking Turbines, Again...


I am fascinated with these gas turbine generators that are used for "peaking" - they start up late in the day when the demand for electricity starts going up as people turn on their lights and begin making dinner.  As an aside, it turns out that only 40% of customers use natural gas stoves.  60% use electric stoves, so that's why the increase in demand at suppertime.  I have photographed these machines SO many times, never being quite happy with the results.  So I was thrilled when I got a photo I was really happy with a couple of weeks ago when I photographed them in the fog.  And this is a photograph that I think is really beautiful in an industrial way.  The turbines are yellow because of the lights on them and it was still light enough that the sky was a deep blue in contrast.  A wonderful contrast in colors.

 

No comments: