A week or so ago Kathy and I went down to Uniondale to visit our lawyer. Her office is located in RXR Plaza which is a set of two giant 15-story shining glass towers of office space on Hempstead Turnpike. The lobby of the building is huge - 22,000 square feet! When we walked in the front door the first thing I saw was this ceramic sculpture in brilliant colors. I was really taken by it, and I can't tell you why, but I spent a bit of time looking at it closely before I photographed it. I thought maybe it looked like Richard Nixon! I asked the guard at the desk if there was a text block that told who the artist was and what this was called. He said "No, there is not sign." How weird is that, to have a serious work of art in a building like this, with no information about it. Then I got a brilliant idea! I would send this to Google Images because it is astounding what it can tell you about an item in a photo. And the answer is: "This sculpture appears to be Man in Abstract Suit (1988) by the renowned American ceramic artist Viola Frey. It features a larger-than-life, monumental figurative style crafted from ceramic and vivid, multi-layered glazes." So there you go! Thank you Google! So do you like this sculpture? By the way, It was so frustrating that those three stanchions and black webbing were in front of the sculpture!
Wednesday, September 2, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment