Sunday, September 20, 2026

I Am Just Too Old!


I wanted to buy a box of chocolates for us for our anniversary. So I went to our local CVS where I have always bought Russell Stover, or Whiteman's Sampler boxes of chocolates.  I looked all over the place and couldn't find any!  So I asked one of the young employees if they had any boxes of chocolates, and they had no idea what "a box of chocolates" was!  So I went to the larger, newer CVS about a mile or two away, and asked an employee the same question.  I used my hands and fingers to describe the size of the box and that it was not very thick.  He showed me all kinds of things but he didn't seem to know what I was talking about.  Of course the new thing is they they have small and large bags of chocolate candies of all kinds, but he just didn't know what I was describing!  So on a chance, I CAREFULLY looked at each and every shelf from top to bottom, and finally saw maybe three of these boxes on a bottom shelf!  I was in luck.  So in the end I figured that it is only old people who even know these things exist, a more formal gift than a giant bag of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups!  In Wikipedia, it did say that apparently "Boxed Chocolates" are a big favorite at Christmastime.  We'll see if that is true.  I will let you know.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that the boxed chocolate is so scarce. We always had them at every holiday. Sometimes they were labeled and you knew which flavor you wanted. It they weren't, Mom would poke the bottom and find out. LOL Joan

ken schwarz said...

A fun account of your travels to find a box of chocolates to celebrate your 59th wedding anniversary. But the first thing that popped into my head....Did you happen to check the expiration date? Maybe next year ask the CVS clerk where the Dubai Chocolates are located.

Ken Spencer said...

Primo! So do you like the Dubai Chocolates? They are all filled with what, Pistachio or something? I haven't tried them yet, but we love the assorted boxes which we have been buying for ourselves for years.

Betsey said...

We grew up with boxes of Russell Stover Chocolates. They were a special treat for holidays! Glad you finally found a box.

ken schwarz said...

Secondo:
A couple years ago, a neighbor of ours came back from a business trip in Dubai .Upon his return, he presented us with a Dubai Chocolate & Pistachio Candy Bar. It was delicious and we've had a couple since then. But our usual chocolate fix are heart healthy almonds coated with rich dark chocolate. Primo.
PS: Ronni does not like chocolate covered cherries, which are frequently included in boxed mix chocolates.