Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Amateur Hour


So this was what I did today. Here is a sequence of photos of the rebuilding project. I am not done yet but it is going to rain for two days and I had to get the roof buttoned up before the rain moves in. Man, is my back killing me! And I banged up a finger, but I have not fallen off the roof, which is good. I am disappointed in how it looks - I wanted it to be perfect, and it is not. I talked to and watched two masons in Texas when I was down there, and they made it look easy. Guess what, it is NOT easy! It looks amateurish, when you see it up close. But it will outlast me by a whole bunch of years, so I guess that is good enough. Click on it, please, to see more details in a larger image.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give you an "A" for effort. Easier than flying a plane ?

Ken Spencer said...

Flying a plane is easy, and a tremendous amount of fun. Flying a plane perfectly, especially in bad weather is incredibly rewarding. Building this chimney was incredibly hard WORK! I hurt all over this morning - back, arms, calf muscles. It would feel more rewarding if I felt that the finished chimney was perfect. But it is adequate, and in the light of day (I finished in the dark, last night...) it doesn't look too bad.

Anonymous said...

HEY, SPENCER! YOU'RE HIRED! YOU'RE NUTS. THIS THING LOOKS GREAT! DOUBT MANY NON-MASONS COULD PUT TOGETHER SOMETHING AS GOOD WITHOUT TRAINING. YOU SAVED YOURSELF A BUNDLE AND FINISHED A TOUGH PROJECT. GOOD ON YA!

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed! It looks great to me - so much better than what you started with. It is tough being a perfectionist! Cover everything and hope for a sunny day before snow arrives.
Joan

Amy said...

Dang, you're good. :) And yeah, I think I'll start shoring up some projects for you when you hit L.A. next month...