Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Chimney


I am sorry I am not out shooting for the blog these days. I have been focused on my next project, before finishing the roof. This is the chimney for the oil burner, and I need to tear it down to the roof line and rebuild it! Yikes! I have been reading books on masonry and bricklaying, and roof flashing, and in a lucky chain of events, when I was in Texas I met two masons working at the hermitage, and they were very helpful with suggestions and information for my project. I took a course in masonry and bricklaying at an adult education course perhaps 35 years ago. But I forgot a lot. Now I am coming back up to speed. I expect to do the project this week, so stay tuned - I will be posting an "after" photo if things go as planned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy what a mess, looks like some really quick patch-up jobs over the years. Looking forward to seeing a work-in-progress picture and the finished product. Good luck !!

Anonymous said...

Looks simple enough to me. LOL
Can't help with the masonry, but you got a great opportunity to now do the job right. If you need a refresher on the flashing try http://roofingcontractorreview.com/Chimney-Flashing.html .
Good Luck

Ken Spencer said...

Wow! Great link on the flashing! Thank you so much! Just for your information, I will be doing the masonry work tomorrow, and I need to plan where to rake out the joints where the various pieces of flashing will go. That planning is critical! So this was a great help.