Monday, January 18, 2010

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord


When my dad would talk about people who were so much like their fathers, he would say "They're a chip off the old block." Well, Tony's daughters are clearly that. They are a whole family of photographers, according to Tony's wife. They all have point-and-shoot cameras, and are always taking pictures. There were wonderful family photos with Tony in them, on display at the wake. I should point out that most photographers (like me, for instance) are never seen in family photos. It made me feel really good to see his daughters photographing the casket and flowers before the internment, to record this last moment with him. I am sure Tony would be thrilled as well - he truly was a photographer's photographer. There was a wonderful prayer service at the funeral home before driving to the cemetery - Tony's brother-in-law Joe spoke, read scripture and led the prayers. It was a simple, beautiful and profound service. Here's what I will carry with me after that - "We should honor and remember Tony by taking his best attributes, and adopting them as our own." It was a very powerful message. Farewell friend, I will miss you. I hope I will be a better person because of you.

1 comment:

Net said...

Ken, This is so beautiful. Thank you so much for the kind words and the tribute to my father. If you wouldn't mind sending me the photo, I would love to have a copy. All the best and keep on shooting. Your blog is wonderful idea and your pictures are amazing.