Monday, January 4, 2010

Magic!


This photograph is not a normal representation of the scene. I am still experimenting with High Dynamic Range photography (HDR), where I take 3 or 5 photographs at different exposures, and then combine them with special software to be able to show details you would not be able to see normally. In this case, in the actual scene, the tree was nearly a black silhouette, but there was a hint of orange light on it, from a streetlight across the street. This software allows me to bring out much more detail in the tree, thus making it almost completely oranage. It is a really cool effect. The saturation of the entire photograph is a bit high, which also adds to its sense of unreality. Here is one of the original photographs for comparison.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The top photo is very artsy. If you hadn't explained what you did, I would've thought it was a Photoshop project.

But to me, it brings more interest to the picture. I'd look twice at an orange tree in an exhibit. While the "normal" is nice, it seems more ordinary by comparison.

Ken Spencer said...

I think you are right, which is why I chose it for the blog as the first picture. The second photo is ordinary, and I probably would not have shot that image, if I wasn't playing with the HDR.

Anonymous said...

Love the bold blue colors and the orange to set it off - wonderful! bsk