Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Molten Silver


We had a bunch of antique silver serving pieces, but they were kind of ugly, so I got this brilliant idea today to melt them all down and just sell the silver. That's a good idea, right? So I got out my acetylene torch, and started melting the pieces one by one, and just watching them turn into a puddle of silver. The melted silver made really interesting shapes, I thought, so I photographed them. Just kidding. This is really molten lead, not silver. I was melting some ingots so that I could made a small counterweight for one of my telescopes. The shapes are still interesting, though. Please click on it to see it in a larger size.

2 comments:

ken schwarz said...

Your photo is great and I liked your initial comments about melting the family silverware for cash. I recently did an inventory of our silver complete with photos. I guess I was a bit bored on that particular day! We virtually never use our silver stuff because we live a very casual life style and polishing silver is not all that entertaining. I have often thought about selling our silver and buying stock. And don't get me started on diamonds - it should be illegal to say "diamonds" and "investment" in the same sentence.

Ken Spencer said...

I would have melted all our diamonds, but my torch is not hot enough... :-)