Friday, April 16, 2010

Not A Rainbow


On my way from Penn Station to the Museum of Modern Art, I was looking for photographs every step of the way, which is how I work wherever I am, but even more so in Manhattan. I photographed the Empire State Building from several blocks away, and continued to find nice shots of it as I got closer. Suddenly, when I was very close to it, I looked up and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what I first thought was a rainbow, arcing away from it. It was not raining at the time, and then I realized it was not a rainbow, but rather something called an "Ice Halo." How do I know this? Because the blue ring of the bow is on the outside, away from the sun. And, the halo is exactly 22 degrees away from the sun itself. Well, I didn't measure it, but the laws of physics make it so. Please click on the image to see the image with better color saturation. It's quite pretty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's how people miss the pot of gold--they over-think things instead of just enjoying them. But that's you. I would've been happy believing you'd caught a rainbow in your lens. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Quite pretty. You amaze me! How many times have I seen a rainbow or thought so and it may not have been. Thanks for the lesson of the day.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Actually I was not over-thinking this - I just need a copy block for the blog! :-) I was quite content to enjoy the serendipity of this "rainbow" until, that is, I had to write SOMETHING about it for the blog... :-)

Anonymous said...

Uncle Ken - you take the most amazing photographs! I love learning new things, and I have never know the difference between ice halos and rainbows. Now I will pay attention the next time I see a rainbow :)
Kelsey