Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Monticello


I finally got to visit Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home. He designed it, of course, and it is beautiful. But we have all seen the classic photographs of it, and I did photograph those views, but I wanted to show something different. Believe it or not, the thing that grabbed me was the stable area, under the wooden boardwalk. I can't explain it exactly, but the stables felt really old - more "old" than the house felt. I guess it was the unfinished wood, and the care taken with the woodwork, even though it was just the stable area. It is beautifully constructed. Funny how we have certain expectations before we visit a place, and sometimes we are surprised by what affects us the most. The lesson is to always pay attention, because you never know what the most interesting thing will be.

No comments: