Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Old Barnyard


This is the barnyard of the old Spencer family farm. It has been out of the family now for over 20 years. When my sisters and I were kids, we each got to spend a week here every summer. This is where I learned to know what a farm felt like, and, in later years, was able to feel more deeply the poetry of Robert Frost, because of my experience here. I played with frogs in the horse trough, watched my grandfather milk cows, plow fields, harvest hay and helped my Uncle Norm collect eggs from his chickens. The farm has changed hands at least three times now, and the barnyard is now overgrown. It's not the same. A bit sad to see this after all these years. The barns have not been well maintained, and are at risk of being damaged beyond repair. This sad for all of us to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sad that the barns are not being kept up and used to their fullest, but how fortunate we are that we experienced being on a farm for so many years. Wonderful memories and lessons learned.
Joan