Monday, November 15, 2010

The Blue Box


I went into the city late this afternoon to attend an evening lecture at the Hayden Planetarium, about how star formation takes place in the Milky Way. The Hayden Planetarium is located at the American Museum of Natural History, inside this giant glass box which is called the Rose Center For Earth And Space. Can you follow all that? Anyhow it is all lit up blue at night, and it is a rather spectacular sight when you first catch sight of it. The giant ball inside is what contains the planetarium itself, but in this photo is somewhat obscured by the tree. Although I like having the tree in front of the building for some reason. Please click on this to see a larger image with better color.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very spectacular! Stops you in your tracks. The tree against the blue with the yellow sky is stunning.
Joan

Photodude Images said...

Star formation sounds very interesting, but nothing beats a Laser Rock Show in the planetarium.

And remember, no smoking allowed.

Anonymous said...

I wanna wake up in a city that never sleeps! And find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap!

New York, NEW YORK! No place like it folks. Thanks for a great photo, Ken. Reminds me of how proud I am to be able to say I'm a New Yorker !

Anonymous said...

I agree with Joan... it does make you catch your breath.. I'd love to go there sometime

Ken Spencer said...

Wow! I can never guess how many comments I am liable to get on a photograph. I couldn't believe that this one got four! Thanks to all of you. It is a pretty spectacular structure - you should see it from inside. It's worth the trip.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Fantastic! Love the bright blue color. I'm glad you showed the tree in front to soften the scene. bsk