Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Leica M6


When got my first paycheck, right out of RIT, I bought a used Leica M2 - something I had always wanted. In later years I wanted a Leica M6 but couldn't afford it, and really didn't need it. But about 10 years ago, just as digital was beginning to show up on the horizon, I went and bought a used M6 in mint condition. It was the camera I brought with me on trips to NYC. Since it is not a single-lens-reflex, with all the complexity and noise, it is a great camera for candid photography because it is so silent. So the first trip to the city, I had my new Leica with me, and was hoping to take a real "keeper" of a photo. I was downtown - I forget why, and it was a rainy day. I was standing at a crosswalk, holding my umbrella overhead, and saw this old building and then the red lights and red door. While I was contemplating that, along comes this pedestrian with his red umbrella! OH MAN, THAT'S IT! Click! I forgot about all of this, but found a scan of this film negative just the other day. Please click on this to see it larger, and with more color in the reds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very interesting photograph. You pulled a lot of detail together (the beautiful windows, the black railing, the red coloring)and yet all the details stand out to make a great picture. Trace