Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Bike Whisperer


I actually did a real double-take today when I drove by this scene. We were on the way to Amy's house, and I saw this flash by my window. So I dropped everyone off and turned around and drove back here to see what was going on. Turns out, this is a bike shop, in the front yard of a house. The proprietor works on bikes and has all his tools out in the open, or partly under an umbrella, on what is left of his front lawn. He said he had worked in other shops for years, but decided to open his own shop. His sign said "The Bike Whisperer." He assembles and sells bikes, and customizes some bikes for customers, and does a lot of repairs. Three people came in with problem bikes and he set about repairing them on the spot, and his prices seemed really reasonable. Tomorrow I will show you one of his custom paint jobs.

3 comments:

Photodude Images said...

Wow, you get off of Long Island and see how the rest of the country lives. On LI, the town code enforcement/zoning gestapo would be there every day issuing fines.

Anonymous said...

Very colorful and fun! Milford would not allow this in my yard.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

I know. I have my fingers crossed that they won't bother him. While I was there someone came in and asked if the city had bothered him, but he said it hadn't so far. I will keep my fingers crossed. He is such a nice guy, and I learned a couple of really cool things watching him work on the bikes, in just a few minutes!