Thursday, January 19, 2012

Derelict




Ok, so I am having trouble making up my mind. Can you tell? This yacht has been just off the beach for several months now and I thought it was on a mooring. Then a few days ago it drifted ashore, so that when the tide went out, it was high and dry. I went looking at it closely, and found it was connected to a very small anchor, no where near large enough to keep the boat anchored.
So two days ago I spent some time photographing it when the tide was out. I was happy that I had a nice photograph of it, but then on the way to the bagel store this morning, I saw this view, with the boat and its reflection in the water, and the blue sky and sunshine, and wanted to do that version as well. I think the photos on the overcast day are better, when I am talking about a derelict yacht, but it is hard to walk away from the pretty image. So which shot do you like best?

5 comments:

Photodude Images said...

I'm not sure this qualifies for "Yacht" status, but it would be really funny to find a wet drunken owner wandering around looking for his missing boat.

Anonymous said...

The first two photos tell a sad story for this 'lost' boat. The third however gives hope that the storm is over and the tide is once again coming in to set it upright and on its way. The blue sky, sun and water reflection not to mention the angle you captured is part of that uplifted feeling. So, this being said, I vote for picture #3. Hope the owner can be notified someway before this lovely sailboat gets severly damaged.....

Anonymous said...

I picked #3 because I like "pretty, sun & the reflection", but it does not really show the sad state which started your interest.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

For color, contrast and composition I also favor photo number three. This is a familiar scene in our waterfront community. also. The owner probably can no longer afford to take care of his boat so instead of hauling it out for the winter he anchors the boat using grossly inadequate ground tackle for long-term wet storage. The boat dragged anchor and by now has probably done some expensive damage to the hull. A very sad scene indeed!

Amy Spencer said...

The first was very jarring, so that was my original pick. It's just so weird to see a boat sideways and on land. But for the same reasons as others (water, light, hope), I go with #3! But I was happy to see them all--though, yeah, not happy for the owner. :(

Amy