Sunday, January 1, 2012

"No Photography"


OK, so I can't tell you where this was taken, and I can't tell you the name of the sculpture or the artist. Why? Because I made a mistake... We were at this museum (a clue - my favorite...) and I saw this sculpture and did a quick shot of it, and then a guard said that you couldn't take pictures here and pointed out the tiny little sign on the wall that said: "no photography." Duh! Here is the amazing thing - I clicked one frame, and it just happened to be at the exact second that this father and his daughter were looking at the sculpture. Isn't it a stunning piece of art! I looked at this one object for about ten minutes because it was so striking and so beautiful.

2 comments:

ken schwarz said...

I clicked on your blog this morning and had two immediate reactions to "No Photography".
1) Photo: Stunning composition, subject and light!
2) Narrative: Minox "Spy Camera". Although I presume you used your "toy camera" to take this unauthorized stealth photo, I have to believe your camera collection also includes an old Minox micro camera dating back to the 50's or 60's.

Ken Spencer said...

It was, in fact, my "toy" camera. That thing is SUCH a great camera for stealth work! I lusted after a Minox camera when I was in High School. There was a small Minolta that was a bit larger, but I never managed to buy either. I bought a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 Minolta Autocord, which looked like a Rolliflex, and used that camera to shoot for the High School yearbook, and the local newspaper, and to do weddings for a local photographer.