Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Ride in Late Afternoon Light


The wonderful thing about winter light is that the sky can be exceptionally clear at this time of year. Which means that when the sun is close to the horizon, it is still bright, and can cast long shadows. In the summertime, as the sun approaches the horizon it fades after shining through the moist stagnant summer air. So shadows like this only happen in winter. I was climbing the hill on my bike when I saw my shadow, so I stopped and took this photograph. I was using my iPhone, which I why I stopped, instead of trying to ride and photograph at the same time. Wow, first time you ever heard me say that! :-)

2 comments:

ken schwarz said...

Since early December, I have been meaning to ask you why the late afternoon sun appears so much brighter compared to warmer months. Our neighborhood is approached from a two-lane tree-lined road not unlike the scene in today's photo. At around five in the afternoon with the sun low in the sky, we are usually heading back home after exercising. There are places along our short route home where the sun isn't blocked by trees and the light is directly in our path like a bright light at the end of a tunnel and becomes dangerously blinding for a few moments. Your expert description has provided a crystal clear answer.

Ken Spencer said...

Jas: So glad this was helpful.