Friday, January 27, 2012

The Fog


I went down to the water this afternoon because it had been rainy and drizzly, and I thought I might find some fog, and maybe a nice picture. There was a layer of fog all over the harbor. Wow! I quickly got the camera out of the trunk. It had been cold, however, and when the warm air came in contact with the cold lens, everything fogged up! Oh no! So I quickly got back in the car, turned on the heater and put the lens in front of the warm air. Gave it a minute, and then started running for the harbor. But a cool breeze had started from the south, and by the time I got to where I could shoot, most of the fog was missing! Arghhhhhhh... I did manage to get this. But you should have seen it before.... Sigh.

3 comments:

Brain Dumps said...

I usually don't like fog. Our routine life become so disturb.

Photodude Images said...

I don't understand the lens fog issue. Wouldn't the air temp in your trunk be similar to the outdoor temp?

Ken Spencer said...

Here's the deal on the lens fogging up. It is a cold night, and the camera is in the car trunk. So the car is cold, the trunk is cold, the air in the trunk is cold, and the camera is cold. So warm air moved into the area in the morning. The air in the trunk is still cold. So when I take the camera out, it is still cold, and the warm air immediately condenses on it. The camera would probably warm up to the ambient air temperature in perhaps 15 minutes. I remember the first time this happened to me - It was winter in Rochester, NY, and I was just starting out. My cameras had been left in the company car. I had to photograph a swimming meet at the local YMCA. The swimming pool was warm, and at 100 percent humidity. My cameras fogged up immediately, and there was no way to warm them up in time for me to take any photographs of the meet, even after an hour!