Sunday, March 3, 2013

In Memoriam?



This is another photo quiz!  Which photograph is your favorite?  Here are the details:  I saw these wreaths of flowers hanging on one of the benches down at the shoreline, so I stopped to photograph them.  I have no idea what the flowers are for - I have never seen any of the benches with flowers on them before.  There hasn't been any kind of ship sinking in the harbor, so I doubt it was something like that.  Each bench, however has a bronze plaque with a name on it.  The plaque on this bench says "In loving memory of Eda Maria Ayres 1926 - 1998"  Perhaps this is an anniversary of some kind.  So which photograph do you like best?  I think the lower one is more dramatic, from a low angle and with the larger wreath.  But I think I prefer the top photograph, because it has a greater sense of context - we can see more clearly where the bench is located, and I also love the gentle curve of the sidewalk and the railing curving into the distance.  What do you think?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The larger image of the flowers has more of an emotional impact on me. The smaller image seems distant; more casual. Maybe it was her birthday or the anniversary of her death. It's been 15 years since she died, and her family still remembers her. How lovely; she must have been soneone special. It makes me feel good to know that we can all have people who still care about us long after we've moved on without them.

Dean said...

Hey Ken- I like the lower one, but would have taken half a step back, half a step to the right, and panned a bit to include the curve of the path as a vanishing point at the left "third" of the shot. Keep it low, and close enough for flower details. That shot would also include more of the sea... But hey, what do I know... -Dean

Anonymous said...

I prefer the top one.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I also prefer the top one. I like the comments from Anonymous about people caring after so many years...bsk

Anonymous said...

Sam prefers the top one- it is less like a flat snapshot of the sort I produce sonogram.

ken schwarz said...

For me, the top shot is the winner. I agree with Sam that the bottom pic looks more like a snapshot. As for the bronze plaque, you can be sure someone made a donation to the Town of Sea Cliff for the plaque. I paid for a brick with my dad's name and Navy rank that is installed with hundreds of similar bricks along a walkway at Mount Pleasant's Waterfront Memorial Park. It's a very nice feeling to see that brick when I am down at the park along the Cooper River.

Anonymous said...

I prefer the top picture. All I see in the bottom picture is a bicycle

Anonymous said...

The top photo is my choice!
-Nancy

Anonymous said...

Another vote for the top. No question for me.I could feel the emotional message better. I thought it told the story, including the environment...
Fuzz

Ken Spencer said...

Wow! Thank you ALL for your responses! I am so thankful for all of you who took the time to pick your favorite photograph. And I particularly liked the beautifully written first comment on remembrance and caring. And I am still not *completely* sure which shot is best!