Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Planes & Cranes


I loved the view from THIS hotel room! While at the Northern Short Course my room was on the 8th floor, with a front-row seat to all the goings on at Newark Liberty International Airport.  The aircraft would be parked there most of the day, and when I got up in the morning they were gone, only to reappear later on.  Apparently this is a storage area away from the gates, and I am guessing that they were used for transcontinental night flights.  And the containerized cargo cranes in the background are just stunning structures, aren't they?  They are at the Port of Newark, right across the road from the far side of the airport. The telephoto lens compresses everything, making the cranes seem much closer than they are.  This may be the best hotel room view I have ever had anywhere!  I have posted a slightly larger image, so please click on it to see it in more detail.

6 comments:

Photodude Images said...

Too bad you didn't do a time lapse. That would have been epic from this viewpoint.

Anonymous said...

cool idea!!

Ken Spencer said...

I was dumb... I had left my tripod home, and the only camera I brought with me to the conference was my SONY Rx 100 point and shoot. And of course I don't own an intervalometer for my D300 Nikon. Duh! Three strikes and what?

ken schwarz said...

"This may be the best hotel room view I have ever had anywhere" You are kidding, right! Most people would like a room with a view of majestic mountains or maybe a quaint little village scene or perhaps the bustle of people out at night in a big city. My personal preference would be a hotel room view of white sands, swaying palms trees and half naked women playing in the surf!

Ken Spencer said...

Ciao Primo! I meant "the best hotel room view I ever had" when NOT on vacation. Sorry, I should have been more specific. Of course I would choose the view you describe if on vacation, but whenever I traveled for work, this was the best view ever! :-) Salute, Secondo

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard after I read "best view..." - only my brother would say that!! So glad the comment was cleared up. bsk