Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Choices




I drove by the harbor this afternoon, shortly after a thunderstorm had passed by.  What caught my eye were the soft, pastel colors in the distance.  So I shot the first picture I saw, which was the view in the distance of the clouds and the water.  Then I started looking around, and thought that maybe I should take a wider view to show the scene in context.  So here were the choices I needed to make.  The "soft" version is at the top.  When I was working on the image, I added contrast to make the image more dramatic.  I think that ruined the feeling of the scene, however, and I don't like that version.  Then at the bottom is my wide angle view.  The picture is really interesting, and pretty, BUT the original scene that I saw is completely lost.  What do you think?

4 comments:

ken schwarz said...

Sometimes the camera and lens do not adequately capture the moment. Perhaps the scene in the first photo was enhanced by other senses like the sweet scent of salt water, a whisper from leaves in trees nearby or the sound of water lapping at the shoreline.
The addition of some color in the second photo added little. I think, for most, the eyes will linger much longer on the third try - a tranquil composition of shapes, textures and color by the sea.

Anonymous said...

I like the enhanced version in #2 because of the lighting in the clouds, but love the 3rd photo for the serene feeling.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks so much for your comments. I've been outvoted! But thanks for your insights, especially that you both find the tranquility of the last image the most interesting.

Anonymous said...

I also like the 2nd photo because of the added light in the sky. However, I do prefer the 3rd photo because of the added green - soothing. bsk