Saturday, July 12, 2014

Unfinished Business


So I am cleaning up and throwing stuff out.  I came across this box, with a Heathkit ET-3100 Electronic Design Experimenter in it.  In mint condition.  Unused.  I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator, and back in 1979 when I was studying for the exams I had to take, I bought this, with some instruction books, in order to learn electronics.  I would read the lesson, on transistors, for instance, and then use the parts in the little plastic box to construct a circuit and then operate it and take measurements.  Hands on learning.  Only thing is, I had a really tough time understanding some of the concepts.  So I put the box away.  I have always meant to get back to it, and I always knew it was up there on the shelf.  So today was the day of reckoning - I had to admit that I am never going to get back to it.  Ever.  So into the trash it went.  It is hard to admit defeat and that I will never learn electronics.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proud of you. 35 years is a long time to save something you will never use! Keep going Kenny.
Joan

Dean said...

Hey Ken - you could have likely sold it on Ebay for 4X what you paid for it! -Dean

ken schwarz said...

For someone who has built his own computer, I think it's a gross exaggeration to claim you don't know much about electronics. Surely your wiring skills fall somewhere between re-wiring an old lamp and re-wiring the town of North Hempstead. As for the Heathkit, I think Dean has underestimated what you could get on Ebay. Back in the late 50's, I assembled a Heathkit HiFi amplifier and receiver. I was impressed with myself that both pieces worked after completion but not sure either qualified as "HiFi" equipment.

Ken Spencer said...

I actually did look it up on ebay, and there were a whole bunch of them, and they sell for about $40. At least I did think to check. I probably paid $40 for it 35 years ago. But seeing that it's not worth much makes it easier to toss. If you want it, Dean, I will put it in the mail! :-)

Anonymous said...

It is difficult to throw things away... Good job! bsk