Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Red Ribbons


As I drove to the bagel store this morning I saw a flash of waving red ribbons out of the corner of my eye.  What?  I stopped to look at the scene on the way back.  This is the pond which has been undergoing rehabilitation.  They have done some serious dredging here, and dug out so many phragmites that the pond is now doubled in size.  It turns out that phragmites are an invasive species, so they have removed them all, and are now planting native plants.  The square plastic screening apparently keeps  animals from the young plants, and now they have added the red plastic strips to keep birds away.  The ribbons make for such an unusual landscape.



2 comments:

Dean said...

Ken-

You coulda' saved me from googling Phragmites by inserting a link... Come on, I know you can do it! -dDean

Ken Spencer said...

Hi Dean: When I was growing up we had cattails in the wetlands areas in Connecticut, near Long Island Sound. I clicked on your phragmites link and discovered that "cattails" are NOT phragmites! Yikes! See what I learn talking to you! :-)