Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Impossible Photograph


After the presentation at our astronomy meeting tonight, we went outside the planetarium and set up some of our telescopes to look at the stars.  It was a bit hazy, so there was some difficulty in finding star clusters and nebulae, but we found some.  I noticed John and Gordan using this home-made telescope from the 1960's because they were silhouetted against the planetarium building in the background.  When I lifted my toy camera up, they were not visible on the screen in the back, because it was so dark.  So I set the ISO at 6400 and tried a few frames.  The camera came up with an exposure of 1/3 second which is a little long for a camera not on a tripod.  But it worked, and no one was more surprised than I was.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo!
Joan

Anonymous said...

thank you for giving the details of how you get the shot!

Anonymous said...

1/3 sec, no tripod: Man of Steel.
Stan