Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Lure of Black & White_4


The Lure of Black & White_4   I headed off to Rochester Institute of Technology in 1960 after graduating from Milford High School. I thought I was going to learn studio and wedding photography and portraiture. Instead I had the great good fortune to study with Ralph Hattersley who introduced the concept of using photographs to communicate. And then there was Minor White, who continued to develop my sensitivity and sensibilities. Here is one of his quotes: “Be still with yourself until the object of your attention affirms your presence." Ralph Hattersley and Minor White changed my life forever and I will be eternally grateful. I still hear their voices when I pick up a camera. For my senior thesis, I did a year-long photo essay on Minor and his life as photographer, teacher, writer and editor of Aperture magazine. This is a photograph of him at breakfast at his home and one of my favorite photographs from the whole series.

No comments: