Monday, August 17, 2015

Learning to See in Different Ways




I love to photograph in museums.  One of the reasons is that I enjoy trying to figure out all the different ways I can photograph a particular work of art. Each of these pieces is a "photograph" - they are ink jet prints on translucent material.  The colors are very subtle and involve only color.  There is nothing representational of the outside world.  So as I walked around the relatively small gallery and tried different views.  The first photograph shows what three of the images look like.  Then I went into a smaller gallery and found a more complex image, where you can see the light from one of the boxes as seen through a second box.  I figured that I had nailed it!  Then I looked at the brochure that they give out to explain the exhibit.  I saw a photograph similar to the third one, where a photographer had included one of the posts that holds the building up.  The original paint from when the building was a capacitor factory was left on the post.  The lesson is, that it would NEVER have occurred to me to include a post in the middle of a work of art!  They do say that the installation of these pieces was site specific, so clearly the old painted post relates the art to the site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love museum exhibits because they always open our minds to new creative things! bsk