Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipse Sequence


So this is a first for me - a multiple exposure of the whole eclipse.  When the director of photography for the paper told me what he hoped I could shoot, he mentioned a sequence.  I said "I don't know how to do that" and he said "That's OK, whatever you can get."  So I wrote my friend Stan and said "Quick, how do I do that?"  Stan was in Oregon but got back to me fairly quickly, and I called the director back and said "Hey, I can do that!"  Stan always has all the answers!  I set up my Nikon D-300 with a wide angle lens on a tripod and then, get this, used the built-in intervalometer in the Nikon to take one photograph every five minutes!  So I ended up with 36 exposures.  You will only count 30 here, and that's because I didn't get the Sun's path right, and the last 6 exposures were outside of the frame on the bottom!  Duh!  Then the other thing I needed to know from Stan was how to combine all the images in Photoshop.  He knew that too!  And this sequence is living proof!  Please click on this image to see it in a larger size.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Stan. Amazing sequence Ken.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Gosh, it must be great to have Stan, the Answer Man available to answer questions! For him to know something about photography that you don't know is a hoot. He must be a genius!

ginger said...

this is mesmerizing. thank you!