Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Osprey

 

We had an astronomical observing session this evening.  I arrived at the observing field at the planetarium, and as I was carrying my telescope out to the field, I spotted this osprey on a branch about one hundred feet away.  He was stunning to see, because of his size and because he was silhouetted against the sky.  Apparently the male may stand off at a distance from the nest to keep a lookout.  These are huge birds, growing to 24 inches long with a wingspan of over 70 inches!


So someone pointed out that the nest was built on top of one of the towers of the Vanderbilt mansion, and in this photograph you can see the female in the nest, which was about two hundred feet away.


I first looked at the osprey with the ten power binoculars I had with me.  Then I used the 300mm lens on my camera to take the first two pictures.  Then I pointed my astronomical telescope at the male, who was closer to me.  Wow, what a great view.  So I took my toy camera and held it up to the eyepiece and got this incredible view!  Keep in mind that I am about one hundred feet away from him!   

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photos are amazing. We have them in the marsh on Anderson Avenue and Jan sees them most evenings behind her condo. The wing span is incredible. Glad you could get this close up with your telescope.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Awesomeness! Looks like such a majestic bird. So cool to see the feather details.

Anonymous said...

These photos are impressive! I love the close up of the bird and the intense look on his face. The picture of him in his nest is good. It looks like he found a perfect spot for his home, smart bird! Trace

Anonymous said...

He looks so majestic. The closeup photo is just wonderful!! betsey