Saturday, December 23, 2017

A Rocket Launch!


We are in Venice, visiting Liz and Amy.  Kathy was outside getting something from the car and she started hollering "Quick come out here, quick!" I had no idea what was going on but was worried because of the tone of her voice. When I stepped outside and looked at the sky,  I was stunned at strange clouds and two bright lights moving away.  Some neighbors were also in the street wondering “What is that?”  Then I recognized that I was looking at the exhaust of two rockets which had just been launched, probably from  Vandenburg Air Force Base, which is 150 miles north of Venice.  It was just stunning!   I didn't  have my small SONY camera with me, and completely forgot that my iPhone was in my pocket. Duh! So only got a photograph of the remaining exhaust cloud as it curled around in the upper atmosphere winds! What an experience!  Here is a link to a cellphone video tht someone else in Los Angeles did, so you can see what the whole launch looked like:  Falcon 9 Launch




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing thanks to Kathy. Thank you for posting the link. Amazing video.
Joan

Anonymous said...

An incredible sight! Trace