Thursday, December 28, 2017

California Fires


I remember seeing video of the California fires while reading the Los Angeles Times online several weeks ago.  I was stunned to see fires right by the exit on the 405 that I use every time I visit the Getty Center.  So I was curious when I visited there earlier this week, to see how much evidence of the fires I would see.  This is the view from the Getty across the 405, and you can see all the burned hills.  It appears that firefighters saved all the houses which you can see are still surrounded by green.  Then a man came over to where I was viewing with his daughter, and said "There's our house right there!"  I went over and spoke to him - his house is on the ridge in the upper center of the picture.  He said that he was so thankful that his house was spared.  Two houses next to his burned to the ground!  Please click on this image to see it in greater detail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such devastation. It is hard to imagine living there with fires. Thankful this man's home was saved.
Joan

Anonymous said...

It is terrifying to watch the fires burning. Just like other disasters, I cannot imagine my home being destroyed. betsey