Friday, January 5, 2018

ICE Cold


It was really cold again today - 14 degrees Fahrenheit, and the wind was still howling, 25 gusting to 40!  Yikes!  I am feeling much better, so I decided to walk down to the beach and go down to where the rocks are and see if they were covered in ice.  I got to the foot of my street and was stunned - everything was covered with ice!  I didn't leave the house yesterday until late in the day, when I used the snow blower on the driveway.  It was cold yesterday as well, with strong winds, and as the waves crashed into the bulkhead, the winds blew the spray over everything.  This one bench encased in ice was the most dramatic.


This is an overall shot of all the benches, trees, and the railing in ice.  In all the years I have lived here, I have never seen anything like this before.  And I have seen it so cold for so long that a major portion of Hempstead Harbor froze solid enough that people were out walking around on it.


This is the railing, and I  thought the close-up view was a nice detail of the ice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like rime ice nice photos. now go home and have chicken soup and elderberry extract and just hang out by the fire with wife and kitty and stay warm :-) ld

Ken Spencer said...

I don't think it's rime ice. This ice is from salt water spray. Usually rime ice comes from water vapor, as when you are flying in clouds. I think...

Anonymous said...

ok i see

Anonymous said...

I like all three photos. But I really like the close up photo. So unusual to see this kind of ice buildup. Glad you captured it. betsey