Thursday, June 27, 2019

Art & Industry


I arrived at the planetarium the other night for observing and discovered I was there WAY before dark.  So I wandered around the grounds of the Vanderbilt Mansion looking for photographs.  I saw this.  In the foreground, in the shade, is the rose garden with a pool and beautiful statue, and the beautiful marble balustrade.  In contrast to that is the huge powerhouse across the harbor with the four giant stacks, that produces electricity for Long Island.  Some contrast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A contrast, but a lovely photo. Beautiful grounds. I remember visiting there on a bus trip and was amazed to see the towers that I had viewed for so many years across the sound. An ah ha moment.
Joan

Anonymous said...

The juxtaposition between yesteryear and present day...betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you both for your nice comments. I hadn't realized that you had been there! Was that the same trip when you went to Old Westbury Gardens?

Anonymous said...

I just looked back at my photos to check when Joan & I took the bus trip to both places. Loved both!! It was October 2015 and I took SO many photos!!! betsey