Saturday, December 4, 2010

Forlorn


I went to the recycling center this morning and spotted this tricycle just outside one of the dumpsters. Rather than just throw it out, someone thoughtfully placed it where another visitor could find it and bring it home. I was really affected by seeing this tricycle here - it did seem so forlorn and out of place. All I could think of was how thrilled some child would be if they could find this under their Christmas tree. I could only hope that it gets rescued, and that a deserving child ends up with this wonderful toy.

4 comments:

Photodude Images said...

Kids can't ride this one anymore. It's a safety hazard. Now they have to have airbags, lights and reflectors, a safety harness, energy absorbing handlebars. Never mind the helmet, knee and elbow pads the kid is required to wear.

If some do good meddling neighbor drops a dime, this one could earn some unsuspecting parents a visit from Child Protective Services and possible removal of the child to foster care.

Your taxes at work.

Anonymous said...

Photo reminds me of William Eggleston's.

Ken Spencer said...

Nice catch on the William Eggleston similarity. His was muchs better - more iconic! His photo is the first thing I thought of, when I saw this. I did a version of this from further away showing more of the surroundings. I wrestled with the choice for half an hour! The wide-angle choice minimized the tricycle itself, and so I chose this closer version. Thanks for your comments!

Anonymous said...

I would have rescued it if I was there. Jonathan rode a rescued bike - it was great...and free.. although it was purple! I love it and hope someone found it.