Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Abandoned Architecture


I went to Sears this afternoon to get a new router to build my telescope with. When I got out of my car in the parking lot, this is what I saw. I was struck by how uninviting this building is. I think that at one time there was an entrance at this end of the building, but now it is boarded up, in a fancy kind of way. I went around to the front where the real entrance is, and that is not inviting either. What puzzles me is why I never noticed this before. It would be interesting to find out when this building was built. I have been coming here ever since moving to Long Island in November of 1966. My friend Jimmie Moose Wildey has always said that my world began and ended at Sears! :-) That was because I was always here buying tools and things I needed to work on the house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In its day (ca 1950?), I suspect such design was viewed as an exciting invitation to a modern and progressive shopping experience, rather than a cold and unwelcoming facade, as we both consider it today.

But I must confess, there's a stark anachronistic appeal to that Sears in Hicksville, which, despite all corporate efforts to the contrary, extends to the building's interior and the overall shopping experience. Call me crazy, but there's something blissful about shopping in a department without another soul in sight (including sales associates).