Thursday, May 8, 2008

Intersections in Our Lives


So there I was, crouching in the gutter in the street. I had my toy camera with me, and was trying to photograph the thousands of beautiful pink cherry blossoms which were drifting down from the tree branches. Suddenly a car pulled up at the corner, and I heard: "Ken! Is that you?" "Whaaaat?" I am thinking! I am nowhere near where I live in an unfamiliar neighborhood, and someone here knows me? I looked up to see Srischua, the college student who with her classmate interviewed me two weeks ago! She had come to this neighborhood to pick up some film she had left at a nearby camera shop. I had come to the same shop to buy a new case for my toy camera. I hadn't been to this shop in six months! And someone I have met exactly once, comes by at exactly the same moment! So I had her take a photo of me photographing the blossoms on the lawn, thinking I would put it on the blog. But then she was showing me about the macro setting on my toy camera, and I took my Nikon and realized that my shots of just the blossoms alone were not enough - the photo needed SOMETHING else - it needed a person in it. So here she is, and the photograph is far more interesting because of her.

No comments: