Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day


Wow, do I feel good about THIS photograph! It is an interesting composition, with a lot going on in it, and it has people in it, for a change! I went to the Sea Cliff Memorial Day parade, hoping I could find a photo for the blog. I first noticed the woman in the wheelchair at the first stop on the parade route, where the parade visits the monument to a soldier lost in the Spanish-American War. I did a photograph there, and then decided to follow her along the route and try and find some other photographs. As I walked ahead of the parade, I saw this woman on her porch, with an American flag hanging, and her hand over her heart watching the parade pass, and I waited for just this moment to show all that, and the woman in the wheelchair. I did some other photographs later on, but this one seems the strongest, because of all that is going on in the photo. You will want to know about the woman in the wheelchair, of course, and the truth is, I didn't track her down to ask any details. I do know that she is wearing Navy dress whites. Other than that, the rest is a mystery. She did, however, get out of her chair, and stand at attention with the help of arm crutches, during the ceremonies at the end of the parade. Sometimes I am not a good reporter. You may want to click on this to see it in a larger size.

No comments: