Saturday, May 10, 2008

Rainy Days


I love photographing on days of rain and mist. Without the harsh shadows of the sun, you can see details in everything, and the colors are almost super saturated. I had been out nearly all day on Friday, running errands and on the way home, late in the afternoon, I drove past Cedarmere, the home of William Cullen Bryant, in Roslyn. Bryant was an American romantic poet, journalist, and long-time editor of the New York Evening Post. His most famous poem was Thanatopsis, which you will recognize, at least in name. I have always loved this particular building on the property for a number of reasons. It was, I believe, the Grist Mill, which was water powered, appears abandoned - which it is not - it is awaiting restoration, but most of all, because it is always seen reflected in the pond between it and the roadway I drive along. I actually overcame inertia to take this photo. I had passed it and wrestled with whether or not to turn around and go back to it, which I ultimately did. I spent about forty minutes, lost in the joys of composition, looking for the best photograph of the scene, which is always fun when you loose track of time.

No comments: