Thursday, May 22, 2008

Someone's World


I was looking for photos on a nearby beach and stumbled across this construction. It appears to be an elaborate fort, but it is quite complex and made with a whole bunch of different materials. The construction is quite sophisticated. Enough so that I think it may not have been made by children. The builders had obviously spent a lot of time thinking about the design and the materials they used which they found on the beach. I spent about 15 minutes looking at it, and trying to photograph it in a way that would show all of its complexity. This is the photograph that I choose. Please click on it to see it in a larger size, and I hope you will see more of the details that way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is striking but feels immensely sad, different from other beach "ruins." perhaps i am seeing it in the context of the cyclone in myanmar and the quake in china. or perhaps it is simply a matter of my mood on this early friday morning.

Amy said...

i see it otherwise, like someone has time to kill and is using their imagination for a while. i think it could be kids, just a bit older, not four year olds. but wow, i would love to hear the explanation on that one, i could look at it for hours. Love the title.

Ken Spencer said...

It felt really inventive to me, when I saw it in person. And it didn't feel like "ruins" at all. It seemed more like a work of art - a sculpture - done just for the joy of it, and then left for others to see and enjoy.