Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Seeing Differently


I have photographed this scene literally hundreds of times over the years. Today it was pouring rain and as I drove by, I realized that I had never photographed it under these conditions. What grabbed me was that there was so much water on the surface of the road that the shadows of the trees were reflected in the wet pavement. That's why I stopped the car and got out. I shot my first impressions, but then started looking for something else. This photo is that "something else." It is a way of looking at line of trees and the road and the water and the bench with a different sense of composition. I think that this photo is more about the composition, and the division of space, than anything else, although it does have a nice mood to it.

5 comments:

ken schwarz said...

Hey Fred,

Nice pic! We have the "Trees & Fog" version of this scene dated 11/76 hanging in a hallway. You may remember giving the picture to Ronni when she found one of your photos in a magazine that failed to give you photo credit.

Your daily pictures brighten our days.

Jas

Anonymous said...

BOFFO! So much more interesting with the reflection!

Amy said...

I love it!! The line of trees is incredible, the way it swoops down in a smooth curve. And again, you have made rain so pretty...

Ken Spencer said...

Wo! Thank you all for your wonderful comments. Makes me want to work harder to get better photographs for the blog. Thanks!

Debbie said...

Great picture ... I can just imagine myself sitting on that bench and day dreaming (yes in the rain)