Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Billion Times


I have crossed this bridge a billion times, it seems. Well, not really, of course. Hey, this is interesting, especially in trying to understand the difference between a million and a billion. A million seconds is 12 days. A billion seconds is 32 Years! Wow! So many times it seems as if a million is a lot like a billion. But it is definitely not! Anyhow, I have crossed this bridge, the Tappan Zee Bridge a lot of times. While I was right near it all weekend, I spent time trying to see what it looks like from underneath. I tried both sides of the river, and this shot is from Tarrytown, on the East side. I tried a bunch of different spots, but without the old poles in the mud, the photographs of the bridge itself were kind of boring. I was also thankful for the beautiful overcast sky - it is so much more interesting than a clear blue sky would be.

3 comments:

Amy said...

interesting - almost as if those poles used to hold up a bridge. or should be holding up one. it's a reminder how impressive those bridges really are, and just how much work it takes to build one.

Anonymous said...

wow! i've never heard that comparison of a million/billion before. it's GREAT! should be used in schools to help kids realize how big the difference is between the two. thanks!

Ken Spencer said...

I was astounded as well to see how large a billion really is! It is so easy to think of a billion as just being a bit more than a million, and it is not! Thanks for your comment.