Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Industrial Ruins, 2


I drove down a street toward the river in Sleepy Hollow, and this view stopped me in my tracks! This is just a very small view of a HUGE area completely covered in concrete, which extends out as far as the eye can see. I later found out that it was the General Motors Tarrytown assembly plant. About 3000 people once worked here, and in 1990 they closed the plant, in spite of the state of New York offering tax incentives to try and keep it open. The huge factory was completely demolished, leaving all these acres of concrete. I believe the facility covers more than 90 acres! It is difficult to conceive of what was once here. But the sight of all this concrete is impossible to comprehend. Please click on this to see a larger-than-normal image so you can see more detail.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very eerie picture when you blow it up - looks like a scene from the Planet of the Apes when the astronauts come back to earth.
In my mind ancient ruins are cool but this is more sad, not the record we want to leave for future generations.

Ken Spencer said...

I have never seen Planet of the Apes - I think I should get it and watch it. Thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

This area will really become a true asphalt/comcrete jungle - the greenery sprouting up between the concrete will eventually become a jungle...