Monday, June 30, 2008

Industrial Ruins, 1


When I see any kind of ruin, my whole body begins to tingle! I find that exploring ruins is a very exciting for me. Old things have a richness to them that is obviously missing from brand new things. I stumbled across this huge flywheel in a park in Piermont, NY, just south of Nyack. The story about this machinery is this: It was part of the machinery installed in 1902, as part of a steam-driven generator, for the Piermont Paper Company. In the 1980's the factory was closed forever. When they attempted to remove the machinery, it wouldn't move! They used a wrecking ball with little success, so it was decided to leave it as a permanent part of the park, a monument to the town's industrial past. I am so happy that there is a record of some of the history of this town for all to see.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Is this a post I'd love because it's for a paper company? or because it's a ruin and i like those, too? Either way, thanks. I do love ruins... :)