Thursday, July 17, 2008

Trying Too Hard?


One of the things I TRY and do, is to see things in a different way. To try for new ways of composing, and arranging objects within the frame, and a different sense of timing in the hopes it will expand my horizons of what a picture can be. Anyhow, I don't usually end up doing this on the blog. So I tried to force myself to do it last night, at my astronomy meeting. I did get a different photograph in the process, BUT... I am not particularly pleased with the final photograph. It IS different, but it doesn't feel like something I am comfortable with. Anyhow, here it is, and tomorrow I will be back to my own self.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, thanks for the explanation but could you give us a bit more detail into what this type of photography is called ? Picture is clearly not crisp, very grainy - I assume that is what you were after. Definitely different, love the expression you captured on the womans face.

Ken Spencer said...

I took this photograph with my Canon SD800. I set the ISO at the max, which is 1600. Inexpensive point-and-Shoot cameras are notorious for poor quality images with lots of "noise" in the pictures. If I had shot this with my much more expensive Nikon D300, there would be far less "grain" in the image. This *might* be considered a "journalistic" style photograph - grainy, less than ideal natural light, and a bit blurred. It certainly has a completely different feeling to it than most of my other photographs. Thanks for asking.