Monday, September 8, 2008

A Better Photo!


Every photographer can use a good editor. I have been fortunate over the years to have worked with some of the best editors and art directors whose judgement I could trust. It doesn't get any better than that! My colleague and friend Karen, who is a photographer, and a fabric artist (which is like a quilter, but I think it implies that her artwork is more "modern" and abstract than traditional quilts) emailed me today to tell me about this photo. She has just returned from a quilting workshop, and one of the important topics they worked on was that of "figure and ground." So she saw yesterday's post and took my picture, and cropped it and sent it back to me. I was stunned! I think it is a much stronger image cropped this way! I was glad I took such a graphic photo, but a bit crestfallen that I didn't see it this way when I originally shot it. Sometimes, when you get the whole scene, you don't get the strongest image. Lesson learned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Karen. Ken is always open to learning! Much more of an impact with it cropped.
Joan

Amy said...

Yes, true, indeed. Very cool. It makes the silhouettes the photo, instead of a bonus to the photo.