Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Light Show


Another photograph from Canada - in this case, Montreal. I spoke of seeing the Basilica of Notre Dame, and how there was a light show about the history and construction of the church. This is a photo I took just before the light show started. The blue background images are projections on the screens used for the light show. I noticed this woman in front of me, looking over her shoulder, and how a small circle of light illuminated her face when she turned. So I got my camera ready, and had to wait perhaps 10 minutes before she turned around again. I was ready, and this is the result.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting shot, although she does not look too happy to have her picture being taken.

Anonymous said...

To me this is a beautiful portrait. The only thing is that the background is a bit distracting so the depth of her expression and presense is lost a little. It might have been more powerful if she were placed in another setting.

Ken Spencer said...

I took this photograph in such a way that she never realized that she was being photographed. She was looking at something in the distance, behind me, and off to one side - she is not looking at the camera. Her expression results from whatever she is thinking at the moment, not any awareness of being photographed. Now that I am only photographing for me, as opposed to work, I wouldn't intentionally take someone's photograph if I knew it would make them uncomfortable.