Sunday, September 28, 2008

Surprise


I visited most of the exhibitions I wanted to see at the museum in my relatively short time there. I had about half an hour left, so wandered into a gallery and was surprised to see a collection of sculptures by Picasso, each one so different, in both materials, and in concept. What an amazing collection! And such variety. This one, called "Head of a Warrior" held my attention for some time. I would see one of the sculptures from a distance, and think: "Well, I will go look at that," thinking that it might be interesting, and then when I began closer inspection, I was amazed how I would be captivated by each of the pieces, in turn. I was stunned by his creativity! . I have seen photographs of some of them in books, of course, but you have to see them in person to appreciate them. What a wonderful and pleasant surprise this small exhibition was!

5 comments:

Amy said...

i wouldn't mind that sculpture in my house, that's for sure. and isn't the new MOMA just beautiful? Glad you had such a lovely day.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Your photo surpasses any photographic reproductions I've seen of "Head of a Warrior" in both esthetics and quality. Even the background enhances Picasso's work and I'm struck by how muralistic it looks, especially those buildings furthest away.

Ken Spencer said...

Wow! Thank you both for your comments. Amy, I will go to the basement and make something JUST like this. We'll bring it with us in December... :-)
Love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Picasso's sculpture looks like an ancient artifact - amazing. Thanks for the art tour at MOMA.

Anonymous said...

What a good dad - it warms the heart.